If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best Daily Devotional is then I’d recommend My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers as the best one.
People perceive the Christian life as a long list of dos and don’ts. Many haven’t yet discovered that spending time with God is a privilege and not a chore nor an obligation. Studying the Bible is allowing God to speak directly to our hearts. Having a daily devotional with God is one of the most fulfilling and rewarding routines in our daily life.
Daily devotional books can be found in every Christian home. They can be a monthly “Verse for the Day” or a yearly collection of scriptures and prayers. These daily devotional books are viewed by many Christians as their primary exposure to Christian writing.
Here are the Best Daily Devotionals we’ll be reviewing:
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers
- Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
- Unshakeable by Christine Caine
- New Morning Mercies by Paul David Tripp
- Your Best Life Begins Each Morning by Joel Osteen
What is a Daily Devotional
The term “devotional” might be a familiar word but it’s not easy to define. It can be many things. It can be a daily selection of verses or a Bible reading plan. It can also be a set of meditations or liturgical exercises.
Wikipedia defines Daily Devotionals as religious publications that offer specific spiritual reading for each calendar day. These are writings or literature written for Christians to read for their personal growth and spiritual formation. Daily devotionals provide a reading for each day of the year. Most devotionals contain a simple but powerful format with a purpose to encourage spiritual growth.
The first Christian devotional book is obviously the Bible specifically the book of Psalms. Early Christians wanted to understand God and the scripture by learning from others. As a result, teachers, pastors, and Biblical experts began to write down their thoughts and reactions to Biblical text.
Over the years, the Christian community coined the phrase “Daily Devotion” as the time we spend with God. It represents the discipline of Bible reading and prayer generally first thing in the morning.
Importance of Daily Devotions
The perfect way to start and end your day is by reading Christian daily devotionals. Of course, you could read them any time of the day as long as you stick to a schedule to help you keep on track. Reading the scriptures and spending time with God the first moment of your waking hours gives you direction and the right mindset during the day. At first, the benefits may not seem to be obvious. But as you make it a part of your daily life, you’ll begin to feel the benefits of doing daily devotions.
It Helps us Grow Spiritually
Doing daily devotions is the best way to find encouragement in your spiritual journey. Reading the daily scriptures helps you understand the Word of God and reflect on it. Peter urges the readers in 2 Peter 3:18 that the way to know Jesus Christ better is to grow in the grace and knowledge of Him. Doing daily devotionals also encourages us to spend time with God through prayer. We need to draw closer to God every day so that we will be prepared to stand for truth in all circumstances.
It Improves our Relationship with God
God desires a relationship with His children. This is the very reason why He created us and redeemed us in the first place. In John 15:15, Jesus comforted us by calling us his friends. He desires this kind of relationship with His children. What better way to have this relationship than studying God’s Word? For some, the passages in the Bible are difficult to understand. Doing devotional breaks things down through easy-to-understand passages, teachings, and prayers. Choosing to follow God and studying His Word through regular devotions will deepen your relationship with Him.
It Aligns Our Goals to His Will
Having goals is good, but there is no point in making them if we leave God out of them. Communing with God while you make your plans will lead you to the right track. Reading devotionals every day will give you the direction and the right mindset to go about your day. It will also give you the assurance that God will direct you to the right path and close the doors of goals that are not meant for you.
It Gives us Wisdom
Spending time with God’s Word through devotions gives us wisdom. The words of God make us wise – wiser than our enemies and people who ignore them. Wisdom materializes when we allow the teachings of God to guide us. He is the source of truth, the perfect standard of what is right. Contemplating on God’s Word daily will make you more in tune with Him and more confident of His promises to you.
What to Look for When Choosing a Daily Devotional
There are thousands of Christian books claiming to bring you closer to God. The main focus when we pick up a daily devotional is to be encouraged and help us draw closer to God. This is a guide on what to look for in a devotional book.
Picking the right topic helps narrow down the choices in deciding what type of devotional book to get. Most devotionals revolve around a particular subject. Before choosing a topic, it is important to pause and ask God to reveal any areas in your spiritual walk that need attention. Allowing your heart to God’s prompting will help determine the right topic for your devotional.
Authors play a big role in understanding the scriptures and passages in the Bible. It is a good idea to visit their pages or website so you could discover their character, their beliefs, and their passion. Choose authors that are on the same page with you. Their writing and teaching should encourage you and draw you close to God. They should nourish your longing for God’s Word and ensure you stay connected to Him.
A good devotional book should point to the Gospel. Nuggets of inspiration about God’s Word can serve to edify us in our spiritual formation. Devotionals are not designed to replace the Bible, hence, it’s best to make sure that what you are getting is biblically sound.
How to Do Daily Devotions
Learning how to do devotions has no set of standards. What is important is sticking to a schedule to keep you on track. Some do it the moment they wake up, while some prefer any time of the day. What works best is the discipline to spend time with God every day for the glory of His Kingdom.
- Set an Appointment with God – We make time for the important things in our life. View your time with God as an appointment so you will not most likely skip it. Pray to Him to open your heart and mind and ask Him to speak to you. There is no right or wrong time to do your daily devotions as long as you plan on your schedule.
- Choose the Right Place – Creating a space suitable for your daily devotions is the key to your success. Find a quiet place free from any temptations where you can commune properly with God. It is a good idea to choose a comfortable chair with good lighting together with your devotional tools so everything will be ready for you.
- Have a Bible Reading Plan – These are study guides for a more focused devotion time. It is a systematic plan for easier understanding and application of the Bible in your daily life. Reading through the Bible will not be a struggle if you create a good reading plan to follow.
- Write a Journal – Journaling for most Christians helps them stay on track during their devotions. It is an encouragement for them to write their thoughts and prayers and keep track of their answered prayers.
Bestselling author Oswald Chambers’s classic My Utmost for His Highest: Updated Edition is the most beloved devotional book of all time. This is the trusted spiritual companion for most Christians especially to deacons, pastors, and ministry leaders. This highly recommended devotional book is considered one of the most popular religious books ever written.
The updated language paperback edition has 365 thought-provoking meditations modernized into today’s language. This “golden book” by Oswald Chambers will encourage and move you to think more deeply about your relationship with the Lord. The fascinating and invigorating words found in the book inspired numerous people to learn deeply from the biblical truths. The biblical thoughts and themes in this updated edition resonate as one seek to grow in faith.
- Fresh and vital 365 thought-provoking meditations
- Includes the original text from the author and updated by editor James Reimann
- With useful subject and scripture indexes
- Updated into today’s language in a contemporary new package
- Includes an expanded author information section by the authors’ biographer David McCasland
- Most readers prefer the original book published in 1935
This simple book is penned as a memorable, thought-provoking daily devotional by missionary Sarah Young. Jesus Calling is a devotional written as if the Savior is directly talking to you. With more than 30 million copies sold, this devotional in a touching first-person format allows readers to experience Jesus through the scripture.
Sarah Young lets you experience a deeper relationship with Jesus as you spend time in His presence. The scriptures and personal reflections found in this book bring Jesus’s message of peace to our everyday lives. This small deluxe leathersoft edition is sure to be a favorite in the Jesus Calling line. Feel comforted by Jesus’ unending love and gentle guidance based on scriptures.
- Comes in a leather soft cover ready for imprinting
- Strengthen your faith with 365 devotions
- With reflections and meditations that resonates with men and women
- Comes in a more compact and portable size
- With uplifting words of hope and encouragement
- The Bible verses are referenced but do not include the full scriptures
- The cover is not made of pure leather
Unshakeable by Christine Caine will bring you on a year-long journey of building your faith with an Unshakeable God. Do not fear if everything that can be shaken will be shaken as long as the Kingdom of God is within us. God is bigger than anything this world has to offer. What matters is to have a closer relationship with our Savior – one rooted in truth and unshakeable.
With this devotional, bestselling author, speaker, and activist Christine Caine will equip you to live boldly and courageously. This devotional is a motivation to activate how to live a life on a mission, fully trusting our faithful God. It inspires the readers to find the confidence to live as the person God created you to be.
- With inspiring personal stories, a presentation page, and powerful scriptures
- With insightful and inspiring 365 daily devotions paired with practical applications
- Each page contains a daily devotion, a Bible verse, and a prayer
- Printed on a glossy paper with a marble theme
- Comes in a foil-stamped hardcover binding and a ribbon bookmark
- Some find the text very mom-centered
- The binding is not as solid as advertised
All of us have a daily morning routine that we do every day. Some mornings are tough and some just needed a good cup of coffee or a hearty breakfast. More than just coffee, we need something to pump us every day. Starting each day with a devotional from the best-selling author Paul David Tripp is a good start.
New Morning Mercies allows the readers to feel prepared to take on life with the strength of God. This 365 gospel-centered devotional will energize you for the whole year with the most powerful encouragement imaginable. It will help you prepare for God’s unfailing grace, confidence in His mercy, and live in God’s presence every day.
- Practical, transformational, and applicable
- Each devotion can be read in less than five minutes fit for busy people
- Written in an easy and conversational style
- Contains a simple summary at the beginning of each page
- Go-to-gift fitted for believers and non-believers
- Some readers felt that the writing style is repetitive and shallow
- The print is too small
Best-selling author Joel Osteen believes that the potential to live the best life begins with each new morning. This devotional book is a wonderful way to kickstart your day. It is a reminder to approach each day with joy and positivity. Setting your mind in the right direction and anticipating good things is the best prescription for positive living.
Your Best Life Begins Each Morning has 365 daily devotionals to help readers face each day with an uplifting tone. Each message goes along with a relevant scripture of faith and expectancy. It is a powerful tool designed to strengthen your faith as you begin living your best life.
- The format is easy to follow
- Portable and lightweight – fits great in a purse, glove compartment
- Includes a page for each day with the date, title theme, and a short introduction
- It has a section for notes and a story that ends with a reflection
- Comes with a built-in ribbon bookmark
- Small book, small print, very hard to read – not suitable for older people
- The theme does not apply to all kinds of readers, the devotionals are geared toward work
Reading Christian daily devotionals is an important part of your spiritual journey. It is a spiritual discipline to get to know God and be connected with Him. Daily devotionals teach us the truth and serve as a shelter amid the storms of life. Once we develop this discipline in our everyday life, our Christian life will never be the same again.
Start and end each day reading daily devotionals. I’d recommend My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers as the best one. The captivating words of wisdom from Oswald Chambers have moved and encouraged readers for more than 80 years. The updated edition has a fresh, contemporary look cover design while the message remains the same.