Last Updated: July 16, 2021
If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best Christian Book for Teens is, then I’d recommend The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren as the best one.
The teen years are one of the most important stages in a person’s life. It is a training ground. What teenagers watch, listen to, and read will influence how they grow from an adolescent to an adult. That is why it is important to start them early and feed them with things that will inspire them.
Reading books can improve the cognitive intelligence of teens. It also allows them to discover things about themselves that they haven’t known. Yet most teens nowadays no longer see the fun in reading books.
But as the famous Professor and Author Frank Serafini said,
There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book.
This is why it is substantial to start feeding a teenager’s mind with the right book. It is important to train them to read Christian books where they can get inspiration and biblical principles.
Don’t get me wrong though. While Christian books are great resources for teens, they should not replace the Bible as the primary source of guidance. But we can’t deny that Christian books can still help teens gain insights into how to better live their lives.
Here are the Best Christian Books for Teens we’ll be reviewing:
- The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
- Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper
- The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges
- God at Work by Gene Veith
- Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris
People often said that being a teenager is the most complicated chapter in life. This is the phase where teens grow physically, mentally, and emotionally. During this time, teens are curious about the different activities of the world. This is also the time where they become more exposed to them.
Most Common Teenage Problems
Most teens wish they could just escape this chapter in their life. They wish they could have it all figured out sooner. They go through hormonal changes, identity crises, social influences, peer and parental pressures, and the list goes on.
Here are the common problems every teen is going through:
- Bullying. According to the National Center for Educational Statistics, one out of every five students is being bullied. The trauma from the bullies they have faced is usually brought until adulthood. This makes teens anti-social. It also causes their self-esteem to drop.
- Pressure. Teens are pressured to do things they don’t always do just to fit with other’s standards or be noticed. This pressure usually comes from parents, teachers, or even friends. Too much pressure from others causes anxiety to teens as they try to do everything to prove themselves.
- Addiction. Too much pressure to conform sometimes leads to addiction. The most common kinds of addiction are Alcohol and Drugs. Addiction is caused by too much desire to impress others. This desire leads teens to try new things, and in the long run be addicted to them. Other kinds of addiction are gambling, food, the internet, and even sexual addiction.
- Depression. All the above-mentioned problems can lead to teens’ depression. It is usually the result when teens already feel too hopeless. They feel like they can no longer escape their addiction, or they can’t make their parents proud. Too much failure can also lead to depression. And if not given attention to, this might lead to self-harm.
What Teenagers Need
Every teenager needs safety, proper food and nutrition, shelter, and clothing. But more than these, there are other important things they need as they transition to being an adult.
Teenagers don’t just need a house, but also a home. It is important to spend quality time together while eating, watching television, and even going out. Many families also use mealtime to talk together. This is when teens can open up to their parents about the problems they are facing. Because of the competing demands from school, sometimes it’s hard to find an hour when you can all be together. But if done regularly, it will help teens to build trust with their parents.
It is important to surround teens with the right friends and with older people who can guide them. Whether it is their teacher, a family relative, or a mentor. Aside from their parents, they need to have a positive relationship with an adult who can inspire and motivate them. A reassuring word from a coach, an uncle, or a friend can boost the confidence of teens. They must have someone that believes in them.
Presence of God
A lot of teenagers tend to believe that they are a failure. Because of this, they feel lost and hopeless. This is why teens need the presence of God because only Him can satisfy all needs. Only God can truly restore broken hearts and can bring joy. Intimacy with God can also bring peace and will help teens redirect their focus. Having God’s presence is more than being moved on an emotional level, it means healing. It means transformation.
The Importance of Reading Christian Books for Teens
Christian books play an important role in the personal and spiritual growth of every teenager. Apart from this, there still are a lot of advantages to reading Christian books for teens.
Reading Christian books gives teens the time to know God and build a close relationship with Him. As mentioned earlier, teens need to have God’s presence in their lives. Starting early in reading Christian books helps teens to know God’s Word and understand more of Him. And as they draw closer to God, the more His presence manifests in their lives.
Growth is important not just physically but also interpersonally. Reading Christian books allows teens to grow. They will learn principles that will make them more mature. They will learn to honor and respect other people, know what is right and wrong, and even lead others. When teens identify their areas of weakness, they can look for a Christian Book that will help them turn these weaknesses into strengths.
Making Wise Decisions
Teenage years can be confusing. Most teens are not sure what they want to do in life. But Christian books can be a guide to teens about making decisions in their life. Aside from the Bible which is the main source of wisdom, we have clean books that apply biblical principles. Diving into these good books prepares teens to face even bigger challenges in their lives. It allows them to make wise decisions before entering adulthood.
Teaching Teens to Read Christian Books
With all the school works, the temptation to play games or surf the internet, and common laziness among teens, it is somehow hard for them to squeeze reading Christian books into their schedule. Most teens also choose to read Young Adult Novels or Fantasy Novels.
But teaching your teen to read Christian books is not impossible. Here’s how you can do this:
- Choose the best clean books to read. Decide on what Christian books your teens should read. Something that dwells on the topic that catches their attention. It should also match the problem they are currently facing. It is also important to read a simple review of the Christian books you have chosen to view the book’s topic.
- Plan a schedule. If your teen is already fond of reading, simply add a Christian Book to their list. But if your teen is not a reader, create a schedule within the day where your teen can read Christian books. This can be before study time or mealtime.
- Make it a habit. Once you’ve chosen the right books and have planned a schedule, stick to that schedule. Check on your teens every once in a while. It is also important to discuss the book with them. Make your teens share the content of the book, and what they have learned.
Choosing the best book is not only based on ratings and reviews online. One of the factors that makes a good Christian book is when they are easy to understand for teens. Another factor to consider is the topic that the book focuses on. A lot of clean books are good for teens, however, not all of them speak about problems that teens are facing. Some topics might also be too complex for teens.
Here are the five best Christian Books your teens should read and why:
This New York Times #1 bestselling book “The Purpose Driven Life” is one of the most famous Christian books of all time. It was translated into over 50 languages and has sold more than 35 million copies. In this 40-day spiritual guide, writer Rick Warren aims to help readers in finding the answer to the question: What on earth am I here for?
In this book, Warren explains the purpose of life and how God can help fulfill this purpose. Each chapter is only a few pages long and is designed to be read each day. All chapters have a Bible verse to memorize, a point to ponder and a question to consider.
I recommend this book for teens who want to deepen their relationship with God and fulfill their purpose on Earth.
- Includes links to 3-minute video introductions
- Each chapter has a 30- to 40-minute audio Bible study message
- Targets readers of any age
- Can easily fit into teens’ busy schedule as it consumes little reading time per day
- Easy to understand for teens
- Targets more on Christian readers
- Small print
In this book, famous theologian and pastor, John Piper, described how many teens waste their years by living a life with no passion for God. He then makes a plea for every teen to avoid the dangers of a wasted life.
Piper challenges readers to live a life pleasing to God and make Him the bigger person in their lives. It speaks about the joy of living for God. I recommend this book to teens as it reminds them to make God the center of their lives and live all-out for Him. Piper also mentioned the challenges and suffering that the world may bring when they identify themselves with God. But he encourages everyone to keep on living for Him.
If your teen is struggling to understand their purpose, this book can help them through knowing God. This book also serves as a warning to every teenager to not waste their life.
- Has very useful insights about making wise decisions
- Thought-provoking and convicting
- Worth reading for teens who feel lost in their lives
- The Kindle edition has a lot of typographical errors and missing chapters
Being a Christian is more than having a relationship with Christ. It’s also about growing and becoming more like Him. In this book, Bridges made a thorough explanation of what it means to be a believer. He explains how the same gospel that brings us to faith in Christ also disciplines us in Christ.
Reading this book serves as a reminder to teens that the gospel is the key to overcome challenges. That it is God’s grace that will sustain them to the end, and they need it every day.
The Bible said in 2 Peter 3:18 that we should grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This book teaches what it means to grow in grace and how to do it.
I highly recommend this book to teens who want to deepen their faith through God’s guidance.
- A good resource for counseling and mentoring teens
- Talks about self-improvement
- Can be a heavy read for a complex topic
- Targets Christian teens only
When we speak of vocation, we often think about work or a profession. Or for teens, vocation can be their school or household chores. But in this book, author Gene Veith focuses on Christian Vocation. He defines it as “a rich body of biblical teaching about work, family, society, and the Christian life”. In this book, Veith explains how the work we do every day can be an act of worship to God. We have many vocations and all of them are opportunities to serve God.
I recommend teens to read this book so that they can be reminded that God is with them in everything they do. And that every simple thing they do whether it is in school or at home, can be something that glorifies God.
But this book doesn’t only serve as a reminder for teens. It is also a how-to guide to being transformed for Christ. It is rich with quotes from famous church leaders like Martin Luther and it draws from biblical principles. It provides a foundation for teens so they can prepare for their future.
- Uplifting and encouraging for teens
- Clear and easy to understand
- Some points are repetitive throughout the book
Twins Alex and Brett Harris had no idea that their book would change many lives. Do Hard Things became a popular book for teens, as it is a book written by teens as well. They were only eighteen when they co-authored this book. But it is popular not just because of that, but also because of the empowering message it delivers.
The book talks about pursuing and accomplishing great things for God. It is one of the best Christian books for teens to help them redefine the true purpose of adolescence. A lot of youths nowadays believe in the saying You Only Live Once, which means in a worldly view that you should do whatever makes you happy while you’re young. But reading this book will help teens in understanding that there is more to life than just being happy.
Do Hard Things serves as a wake-up call for teens, challenging them to use their teenage years to make a difference.
- Convicting, enthusiastic, and encouraging for teens
- Targets both Christian and non-Christian teens
- Too simple and can be boring for non-reading teens
The best way to learn is to start young. We should teach our teens to read the Bible, along with the best Christian books so they can be ready to face the battles of their life. The best Christian books for teens are those that lead them to Christ. While there are a lot of good Christian books that teens can read, it is important to choose a book that will remind them about their purpose in life.
I highly recommend for teens to read The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. This book is so simple yet very relevant. It can be read over and over again yet still serving its purpose. This book can radically change a teen’s life. A life that is centered on fulfilling God’s purpose.